Your baby is tired and cranky, so in a drowsy blur you swaddle him, sway him, and shush him…. your arms are cramping, your back is sore, you’ve shushed out enough air to blow up a bouncy house. All you want to do is get some sleep. Finally he closes his eyes. Now it’s time for the switch, from your arms to the crib. You can’t just plop him down and expect him to stay asleep. You need technique. You need skill. The perfect combination of slowly fading out the swaying and placing him down without him noticing. Will he stay asleep while you walk away and enjoy the lost treasure of a couple hours of shut eye? Or will he release a giant ball of screaming and crying that chases you down the hall?
Recently, I started letting my son lay on the floor and explore the room visually. He gets to lay there, wiggle his little legs and play. I put out a white sheet on the floor and even allowed my dogs to lay near him, smell him, and get used to him. It’s really funny that once they smell him, they just lay down next to him and stare. I have no idea what they are thinking, but I can tell that it is positive. Then of course, I started snapping a bunch of pictures…
That’s when the ideas started rolling in. Watching them lay on the sheet interacting was so beautiful, but I saw potential for an art project. Here are a couple of initial ones. I can see myself doing a lot more of these as the months go by.
This is how it started, just a dog and baby playing on a sheet…
with a little creativity, that white sheet becomes pride rock from The Lion King.
And also a scene inspired by Where the Wild Things Are.
to be continued…
1. I value sleep so much more now (when I actually get some)
2. For the first time, I feel comfortable holding a newborn baby. I used to be so nervous and awkward when it came to holding babies.
3. I am now a professional diaper changer.
4. Priorities have shifted. HIM > Everything else
5. Less gym time. Now I combine workouts into everyday things. Lunges and squats at the dog park, pull ups on the jungle gym while out for walks, sit ups on the nursery floor while baby plays, etc.
6. Healthy eating. I was already pretty good about it, but now I am better. I want to make sure I am around for baby and active for as long as possible.
7. I care less about other things. For some reason, I have a lot less interest in other people’s problems/stories. Maybe I’m just too focused on what matters to me.
8. Less free time, but I’m ok with that. There is no better place to be than spending the day with baby.
9. I’ve never wanted time to pass more slowly.
10. I finally know my purpose in life.
Last week I brought home my first born son. The feeling is indescribable. I’ve been learning a lot about being a parent, a husband and myself. He has completely changed my life in an amazing way. But while he has been keeping me busy, something else has also happened that has taken me by surprise. My photo a day video has gone completely viral. After just one week on YouTube it reached over 3 Million views. I’m getting emails and messages from people I haven’t talked to in years saying that saw me on a website, the news, or their friends have shared my video. It’s all very exciting. A project that started out as something simple for me and my wife, has blown up like I never expected. What an amazing ride it has been so far.
A few publications include Huffington Post, Buzzfeed, Mashable, Pixable, TIME, ABC, Good Morning America, Daily Mail, Laughing Squid, Inside Edition, Elite Daily, SF Globe and the list goes on. I’m having a lot of fun with this and hopefully my son will appreciate this one day.
Thanks so much for watching and sharing!
I’m happy to announce the birth of my son! And a little project that I’ve been working on for the past 9 months. Since this was our first pregnancy, I have to admit that I was nervous the entire time. Still am with the newborn, but thats another story. Taking a photo a day with plans to compile it into a time-lapse video, helped me turn some of the nerves into creativity. Here is our birth announcement, I hope you enjoy:
Here are a few stills from the video. We start off in the guest room which transforms into the nursery. Included in the video is also a baby moon to Hawaii along with a few other surprises. Check it out and see for yourself.
…Here’s comes fatherhood. Wish me luck!
Made a short video showing how things currently are in our house. The nursery and the pups are waiting.